Monday, December 6, 2010

Market Report

I won't be so nervous next time.

The market went really well, and I had a great time.  Sales were disappointing, to be honest, but since every other single thing went perfectly smoothly,  I really can't complain.  Worrying about what (or if) people are going to buy is like worrying about the weather, or if your plane is going to be on time, or if people are going to cough during the concert.  Don't worry about the things you can't control.

It was a chilly morning but ended up being a beautiful day.
That's my son on the left, industriously working on his crocheting.  He was a fantastic companion-- completely calm and relaxed (unlike his mother) throughout the day but a great help when it came to set up and break down.  Thanks Caleb!








I'm going to make a few setup changes for next time. I liked the idea of having my own quilts as table covers but several people have commented that it was too busy looking, and everything sort of blended together.  So today I bought several yards of pumpkin orange stretch velvet-- the washable kind that doesn't wrinkle.  That should make the merchandise sitting on top of it "pop" a little bit more.




So in the end I'm thinking it was like a fantastic dress rehearsal:  everything went smoothly, and the things that I was really worried about, and had to make decisions about, all went as I had wanted them to go.  Whether this is the right venue for me is still in question--this was the first event of this kind at this venue, and all the other vendors were saying you have to give a new market a chance to develop.  So we'll just see how it goes from here.  And I do feel like I'm ready for whatever opportunities of this sort come around.

In other quilting news, I made an unfortunate discovery on the back of the new Provence-inspired quilt:
  One of the red fabric tumbler blocks had bled through to the back of the quilt.  Yes, the fabric was prewashed, but I guess it wasn't enough.







I debated what to do about this.  It's really a beautiful quilt
 Well, I decided to sell it at a discounted price.   I've called it "A Little Surprise".  What I WANTED to call it was "Oh @#$%%^^@!!!", but that wouldn't be Effective Craft Marketing.  So we'll see what happens with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment