Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sunday Sewing

So I'm back at work with The Florida Orchestra this week after our summer hiatus, and what am I thinking about?
A scrap quilt.

Every so often the urge strikes.  And unlike cravings for, say, chocolate pecan pie or designer handbags, this is one urge that I'm happy to give in to.

Here's the pattern, from McCall's Quick Quilts, done in a sweet and polite fabric collection.  I love it when different size squares (and rectangles, in this case) all fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.









I think that this pattern will also work well as a random scrap quilt.  So I've been cutting strips and squares for the past couple of days, and started piecing the blocks yesterday.









This is a very Accuquilt Go-friendly pattern:  4 1/2" squares, 2 1/2" strips, and 2 1/2" squares, all cut on the Accuquilt, then I just sub cut the strips into 4 1/2" lengths (for the pieced blocks) and 6 1/2" lengths (for the pieces between the blocks).

I'm still not sure about the borders-- the pattern has a very wide border that makes the quilt almost, but not quite, a queen size.  I might make it a little smaller and have it more of a standard twin size, plus of course if it's a little smaller it would be easier to quilt.  So I think I'll get all of these blocks pieced together and decide from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment