Monday, June 11, 2012

Finished T Shirt Quilt

You'll recall from this post that I recently acquired a custom T shirt customer who wanted several quilts done from many years accumulation of concert shirts.

I finished the first one!

It's 60" square












There are a lot of fun music fabrics worked in.












When the quilt was picked up, my customer was STUNNED at the applique butterfly on this block.  He said that at the end of the ColdPlay concert, confetti was released on the audience. . .
. . . confetti shaped like butterflies.
I had no idea!  (I've never even heard of ColdPlay).







 A lot of tutorials for T shirt quilts that I've read don't give any instructions for quilting, other than "take it to the longarm quilter".  But really, it's completely possible to quilt it yourself!  Just keep the design simple, like a grid pattern that doesn't require a lot of turning.  And a lightweight batting makes a huge difference, since these quilts tend to be heavy for their size.  I used Thermore batting for this one, and it worked well.

There are still a lot of T shirts from this customer remaining (he and his daughter went to A LOT of concerts!) so it's on to the next one!


1 comment:

  1. You did an excellent job on the first T-shirt quilt. I've made several and each one is totally different. He should be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete