Sunday, October 19, 2014

Hold the Phone

Literally:

Hold the phone!














Meet my newest Little Project Obsession, the Gadget Cushion.  If you're on my holiday gift list you can pretty much count on getting one of these this year.

I took a class in the construction of these at Scrap and Sew quilt shop, a newer sewing machine dealer/fabric store about 30 minutes away from me.  Not only did I have an excuse to go to a new fabric store but the class was taught by the Quilted Magnolia herself, Katie Ringo.  We have been following each other's blogs for years but had never met, so it was great to finally meet her in person. (Check out her blog and teaching schedule here).

Anyway, these are super easy to make:




The pattern and directions are printed on a piece of fusible web, so it's a one-time use pattern.











Cut out the pattern portion, then iron the pattern piece to the wrong side of the fabric and follow the directions.  All of the sewing lines are printed, so it's really easy.

You'll need about a 12" square of fabric (that's including room for trimming) so it's perfect for using up fat quarters or just small leftovers.







After sewing according to the directions, and then turning so it's rightside out, there are two holes left open for stuffing, one on the top part, and one on the bottom part.












There were small bags of aquarium pebbles available when I took the class, so that's what I used for the bottom portion.

A little bit of weight is what's needed here so the cushion sits nicely.  You could also use rice or sand.








I have a large bag of fiberfill stuffing already at home, so that's what I used for the top portion.













The openings then need to be closed.  I used fabric glue (and a few clips to hold them while they dried) but they could be hand sewn closed as well.













I'm ready to make more!

To buy the pattern:  you can contact Scrap and Sew (here) or you can order them directly through Quiltsmart (http://quiltsmart.com).  I bought a lot of them through Quiltsmart and the cost came out to less than $1.50 per pattern including shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment