Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Tale of Two Sewing Machines, Part 2

How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways:  124. . .125. . .126!  126 different stitches, all automatic tension, custom programming, monogramming, well, I could go on and on.  But I'm not a paid spokesperson for Viking, and those of you who own a computerized sewing machine already know how many wonderful, convenient , time-saving features there are.  And of course, this isn't NEARLY the fanciest or most expensive machine a quilter can own.  (I did go to our local Bernina dealer before looking at this machine, and nearly needed CPR for the sticker shock.  They are awesome, though.)

So I've had this machine for nearly a year.  The learning curve has been significant but it's been more fun than I ever thought quilting and sewing could be.  After many years of quilting, there were alot of "firsts" waiting for me with my new machine:  machine applique for one, which is now one of my favorite things to do.  Overcast stitching for whipping up cloth napkins, which we now use almost exclusively at home (except when eating really messy stuff like bbq).  All the basic stuff to do with a zig-zag stitch, like sewing leftover pieces of batting together to reuse in another quilt  And free-motion machine quilting, a new skill for me that I'm so excited to be learning.  Again, I could go on and on.  But suffice to say it's been a blast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment