Saturday, November 20, 2010

Look what he found!

My husband was poking around in our shed this morning.  I can guarantee he WASN'T looking for quilt blocks. But he found some nonetheless.

I had bought these years ago at an antique mall in Vermont.  It was one of those places with multiple vendors under one roof.  It was a long time ago, though.  I had forgotten all about them.


They're neat looking, though, and definitely all made by the same sewer.  


A closer look at the seams indicates that these were all sewn by hand.

There are 14 of these purple and black blocks.  These are the only ones that aren't 9 patches.



6 of these pink ones.

All of the blocks are approximately 7" squares.   There is a little bit of variation in size; the sewer had a rather carefree attitude towards stitch length and seam allowance.  But that's part of what makes them so charming, I think.





A bit of vintage selvage on the left side!  And I swear those are circular saw blades depicted on the purple fabric.


All of the blocks are in very good condition.  The colors are bright and there are only a few minor stains








There are some "oddball" blocks as well.





So what to do with them?  I'm sure whoever made these was planning on a quilt of some sort, and there are enough blocks for at least a lap size.  But I'm always trying to think "outside the box".  Something different.   Hmmm. . .   this will definitely take some thought.  And I'm open to ideas, so please feel free to comment!

In other quilting news. . . I've been busy.    Here's a first for me:  a quilt that sold BEFORE it was completed, or even listed for sale.

We all remember this quilt, which I called Intermission.  Well, a colleague at work really liked it, but waited a little too long to click on the "buy" button in my Etsy store, and it sold to someone else.  Well,  I had always planned to make a second, similar one, so I said I would make it and give her first view of it if she wanted.


The binding isn't quite finished, which is why the edges look funny in the picture.  But it's really the same idea:  4 1/2 " squares of various colors with off-white Kona cotton.  The white is 2 1/2 x 4 1/2" rectangles this time.  Amazing how just a small variation can make the whole quilt look completely different.







The quilting is assymetrical, and in different colors with a slightly longer stitch length.
The back is a pretty teal green.  The little olive green flowers on the back look nice with the border/binding fabric.


So this will be delivered to rehearsal on Wednesday.


I'm frantically trying to get ready for my first Market, which will be Dec. 4.  Yes, that really is 2 weeks from today!  More about this in upcoming posts, but tomorrow is Conquer the Canopy Day.  I have to bring a canopy to market, and I have to be able to put it up and take it down myself!  This could be challenging, especially the first few times.  We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment