Wednesday, June 29, 2011

More about Maine

As I mentioned in my previous post, we had a great vacation in Maine!

I was surprised by the number of quilt shops we ran into while driving around Downeast Maine. But one quilt shop owner said that there are over 3000 members of the Maine Quilt Guild, a pretty remarkable number considering the small population.

One of the more interesting shops was Jolene's Originals, which Jolene runs out of her home in Jonesport.  She actually has her own line fabrics, printed by Northcutt.
 
This pretty blueberry print is one of her designs.  I can't imagine anything more exciting, or gratifying, than seeing MY NAME on the selvage of fabric!  I bet she was pretty excited when that first bolt arrived!








 She has a nice, if small, collection of fabric for sale. Most of her store is gift-y things, including antique quilts, some small sewn items (placemats, coasters, that sort of thing),small antiques, and framed art prints that she's made.  But there were nice coordinating fabrics to go with the blueberries.  Perhaps a "Blueberry Baby" quilt is in order as a future project for me!






Another one of Jolene's designs.  There's a Coast Guard base in Jonesport, so the symbol on the fabric is quite appropriate.  I think this fabric will be made into a napkin set for our own use, a nice reminder of our vacation!  The birds you see are puffins, which we saw on a whale-watching cruise out of Bar Harbor.  The puffins are cute but very small, maybe the size of a pigeon.






That's West Quoddy Head Lighthouse in Lubec, just below the Canadian border.  We visited there and enjoyed being at the easternmost point in the U.S.  The attached building used to be the lightkeeper's quarters, but it's now a museum.







I don't think I would have been allowed on the plane home to Florida if I hadn't bought at least a little bit of moose fabric!



1 comment: