Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Another Custom Order!

Another custom order, and this one's a big one.

You remember my T-shirt Art quilt project from last spring (click here for more info).

my sample T shirt quilt
I had this sample quilt and printed info available at the last 2 Sunday Morning Markets. There was some interest, but no one followed up with an actual order.  The final market of the season was last May.

Until last week!

You just never know what's going to pop out of nowhere, do you?  A woman I had met at the market last spring contacted me about doing a quilt out of her daughter's sorority t-shirts from Florida State University.  The quilt will be a graduation present.

It's also going to be BIG.  25 T-shirt blocks, about 96" square counting sashing and borders.  Luckily for me, this customer really understands how long it takes to complete a project like this, so she contacted me last week for a quilt not due until her daughter graduates in the spring.

The colors are really bright and pretty, and the shirts are in great condition-- most of them look like they've never been worn.










I needed a starting point on fabrics.  This collection has a lot of the T-shirt colors in it, plus apparently the recipient of this quilt likes owls!










Luckily for me, owls are a huge trend this season.  I found this ribbon at Jo-Anns.  Embellishment is a big part of these quilts, so there will be lots of buttons, yo-yos, that sort of thing.

A project this big is a lot of work but I'm hoping it's  going to be a lot of FUN too, especially since I'm being given a lot of time to actually enjoy the process, not just crank it out as fast as I can.  So stay tuned for progress reports on the Kappa Kappa Gamma quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment