Thursday, January 24, 2013

Meow

A co-worker of mine (another violinist with The Florida Orchestra) has asked me to make a quilt for her mom for Mother's Day.
But not just any quilt.
A cat quilt!

I considered fabric choices carefully.  A lot of cat fabrics are a little too cutesy, really more appropriate for kids quilts.

VPUPP4SD
too cute















 And some of them fall under the category of Crazy Cat Lady prints, something I also wanted to avoid
BEZIGYBK
too crazy



But I saw this one, and thought it would be perfect!







It's "Meowsterpiece Cats" from Michael Miller fabrics. 




I think it's really unique, perfect for a cat lover!

Fabrics to go with it were easy to select:

The pawprints were an obvious choice.

I think the cats and the pawprints will be the only recognizable patterns-- everything else will be solid or geometric, like that blue and yellow polka dot on the left.







I'm going to use the same pattern as this quilt, which I really love for it's irregular grid layout.  It will be a great showcase for the cat fabric, since the blocks are fairly large.  Also, the smaller squares (they're cut 6 1/2") will work great for fussy cutting around the individual paintings that are depicted on the cat fabric.

I'm still in the cutting/planning stage, but I'm looking forward to seeing this quilt come together!  I think it's going to be great--

or maybe I should say, I think it's going to be
PURRRRRRFECT!!!!!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Haha!! That Meowsterpiece fabric is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cat quilt looks to be very purrfect, for sure. I've never seen that MM fabric before. May have to have some for my stash. Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete