Thursday, December 8, 2016

The 2 Grandmas

My latest custom order involves one granddaughter's baby clothes made into quilts for both of her grandmothers.

These custom clothing quilt projects always have a life of their own, and this one was no exception.

One thing that was apparent from the start of this project was that I wasn't given a lot of material to work with, especially since I needed to produce 2 quilts from one rather small collection of clothing. Coming up with a pattern was probably the biggest challenge of this project.



Pattern inspiration:  I had saved this panel quilt pattern from the August 2015 issue of McCall's Quilting, thinking it was a good all-around pattern to have on hand.












quilt #1
So using the pattern as a guide, I treated the pieced clothing portion of the quilts as a panel, which only had to measure about 23 x 43". The pinwheel blocks and the borders were all made out of regular quilting fabric.
The finished quilts are about 50 x 60".









quilt #2

I wasn't given instructions as to whether the quilts should be alike or not, but in the end having them alike was the most efficient way to complete this project.  Plus, I was happy with how the pattern worked!






On the back of each quilt is the front of a dress.















I attached the dresses with fusible web, like an applique.  












It also seemed a fine spot for my label!

No comments:

Post a Comment