Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Maxed Out


 I'm currently using this blog space as a reference for my completed custom quilts.  Please join me on Facebook and Instagram for regular updates, Etsy shop news and more!

After 10 years (!) of having a small but highly satisfying quilting business I decided it was time to stretch myself just a little and opened an official Google storefront, mostly to expand myself locally and just make it easier to be found. (Google The Quilting Violinist to have a look!)  And wouldn't you know just a couple of days after the site was published someone contacted me about making a crib/memory quilt out of a collection of dress shirts for baby Max, who was not yet born but due soon.

One of the nice things about a local business is the face-to-face (or should I say mask-to-mask?) encounters I get to have with my customers.  Max's mom and I had a fun discussion about what type of quilt she had in mind.  She had a huge bag of dress shirts from both her husband and father, giving me 2 generations of shirts to work with.

Luckily for me she had really definitive ideas of what she wanted.  What she couldn't decide was whether to get a quilt made out of squares (for a classic checkerboard pattern), or 1/2 square triangles.



In the end she decided on one of each!  A WISE DECISION.

For the triangle quilt the shirt fabrics were paired with a white-on-white polka dot. 

I hadn't made a 1/2 square triangle quilt in a long time so this was particularly fun.  Plus I learned a new trick that made the blocks come together really quickly:  The Magic Four.







Pieceful Living: Easy Peasy Half Square Triangles

Try it!  It really works!


Also included on this quilt:  one monogram each from dad and grandpa.  And a striped binding! 


The second quilt was a checkerboard pattern made from the shirts paired with a light silver gray solid, which was also the binding.











Both quilts have batik fabrics on the back:  
   
 

Max was born last week.  I hope he loves his quilts!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment