Friday, July 17, 2020

An Ironic Quilt for These Times

I'm currently using this blog space as a reference for my completed custom quilts.  Please join me on Facebook and Instagram for regular updates, Etsy shop news and more!

In The Before Times (last February) a fellow member of the Tampa Bay Etsy Crew (an active resource for local sellers on Facebook) contacted me about replacing an old and well-loved quilt of hers that was literally falling apart.  She sent me a photo of it and I could tell it was a Trip Around the World pattern, done in 2 colors: a neutral beige and black color scheme.

She also had an interesting idea for the colors for the new quilt: 

RENT. Tonya no pay rent4mons,I py her.landlord post For Rent sign ...

The colors of "Rent".  Nice!!
Somewhat open to interpretation is the color on the far left of the poster:  it's not quite orange but it's not really yellow either.  I made an Executive Decision and decided that a deep golden yellow would work best with the other colors of the quilt.

A couple of weeks after we settled on the details of this quilt the planet fell apart and my professional life with it due to the sudden onset of the Corona virus.  77 scheduled rehearsals and concerts with The Florida Orchestra (mid-March through the end of our season at the end of May) were cancelled.  Free-lance work with area organizations like Opera Tampa also evaporated.  There is a plan for the orchestra to be back in some fashion in the fall (maybe late October or early November); what exactly the job will look like remains to be seen.  I'm grateful that at least there is a plan to do SOMETHING in a few months, as many orchestras have decided to wait until the fall of 2021 begin performing again.

But back to the now incredibly ironically named Trip Around the World Quilt. (Maybe we should rename it something more fitting, like Trip Around the Living Room?).  The color scheme ended up working out great and it's really vibrant.


(Note that it's a twin size quilt arranged on my queen size bed)
Just for fun, I added a little poppy detail at the corners:


There's also a fun red and white striped binding and a pretty blue print on the back. 

The center block is also a poppy print, plus I included a little Gift For These Times for the customer. 
I think all new quilts should come with a matching face mask!

 


1 comment: