Friday, August 19, 2011

Going on a Picnik

Yes, you read that correctly.  And I'm an EXCELLENT speller, I'll have you know.

Not the kind of picnic with fried chicken, potato salad and bottled drinks and maybe ants (although that sounds like fun, minus the ants)

I'm talking about Picnik, the photo editing website.  I recently discovered this, and have spent the past week or so editing pictures for my Etsy shop AND kicking myself in the head, hard, for not having pursued this earlier.  I thought photo editing was complicated, or you had to have some sort of special program for it, or the items would look false and not true to life, or something like that.  No. A little bit of tweaking, I found out, just makes them look MORE real, like they do when you look at them.

These placemats were VEXING to photograph.  Something about that pink and blue color scheme just washed them out.  Believe it or not, this was the second set of pictures that I took of them-- the first set was even worse.










Re-shot and just tweaked a little .  Infinitely better.















One thing that's great for photographing quilted items is the "sharpen" option.  You can really make your quilting stitches pop.












Another great example of sharpening quilting stitches, from the Sherbet Pips quilt I did recently.










 Here's a new Autumn-themed table runner that I photographed this morning.  I didn't like this picture, so it's not edited.  The colors are just a little dreary.










After:The colors really pop, just like they do in real life!

Anyway, if you're not editing your photos, why not  give it a try?  It's easy and fun!












No comments:

Post a Comment