Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Crazy for Table Runners

Am I  the only one just getting the memo about table runners?  I live in a typical 1950's era block home, so instead of an "open floor plan" like you would find in newer homes, OR the large formal dining room you would find in an older home, I have a small, separate dining room, just big enough for our round table and 4 chairs.  I've never used a table runner.

But this style has been selling like hotcakes in my Etsy store.

And at the Hyde Park market, folks were asking me about long runners, longer than 50".  That market is located in an upscale area of  large, older restored homes.  Like homes with large formal dining rooms and long dining room tables.

Okay, I can take a hint.  It's time to think about table runners.  Here's what I've made so far:


  This one features a victorian style floral.
Those pretty plates were my grandmother's Passover Dessert plates.











I love that super-wide rick rack.  I embellished with a little fancy stitching and some buttons.











This was basically a leftover strip of "koto" (by Alexander Henry) with just a few pieces of green and orange to finish it off, plus buttons and tassels on the ends.








The fabric was a leftover from this quilt from last spring.
 This gorgeous piece of Art Nouveau style fabric needed nothing more than  coordinating "caps" of fabric on the ends to finish.











The color is actually much better in this picture, and you can see that this one also received buttons and tassels.










I did mention recently that I have a busy holiday market schedule coming up, so it's not too early to think about Christmas!  Fabric amounts permitting, I think I'm going to make coordinating napkin sets to go with the holiday table runners, like I did with this one.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I love your table runners. (I also have never used one ever)

    ReplyDelete