I finished piecing the 72 blocks I needed for this project, and laid them out today to number the blocks in preparation for sewing the whole quilt top together.
Wow! That looks pretty good!
You'll recall from this post that this is a custom order for a man who is retiring. In each block is at least one row of squares made from his button down work shirts, mixed (and made more vibrant and interesting) with strips from my own fabric stash.
Typical for me, I didn't agonize a lot over block placement. I like it when things look spontaneous. The only thing I avoided was adjacent identical fabrics, which in the end required just a few minor adjustments.