Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Finished Scrappy Trip Along!

Yesterday I sewed the final binding stitches (and my label) in the Scrappy Trip Along Quilt.


This is a custom order for a man's retirement gift.  The quilt is made up of his striped shirts, plus assorted pieces of my own.









Final measurements:  91 x 102".  I'm pretty sure this is the largest quilt I've ever made.

108" Wide Quilt Backing Medallion Tonal Tan
On the back:  a single, 3 1/2 yard long piece of this 108" wide neutral print from Fabric.com.

I admire people who have the patience to piece together a back for a quilt this size, but I went the quick and easy route with extra wide fabric.

I think also that basting goes a little easier if there aren't any seams on the back to stretch and distort.











I like the polka dot binding!

It was about 400 inches of hand sewing to finish the binding-- that adds up to more TV watching than I've done in a long time.






I'd love to do another one of these in more "my" colors-- lots of brights and jewel tones.  But for this one, I kept a more masculine color palate in mind.














Want to make one yourself?  The free pattern is here, and it's easy and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment