Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bag Class Today

Summer is a great time for me to learn new things.  Like BASIC SEWING.  Really.  Except for the sewing that we do while quilting I have almost no sewing skills.  So when I saw that Happy Apple Quilts  was offering a "Grab and Go" bag class today, it sounded like a fun way to spend a Saturday.  And it was!

You'll recall that my last adventure trying to make a small zippered pouch ended in disaster, with the pouch finishing inside out and sewn shut with a raw edge of zipper hanging off one side.  VERY frustrating!

However, today's class was taught by a Trained Zipper Professional.

Unfortunately, there wasn't quite time to finish the entire bag, but I got pretty far.

And I'm pretty sure I now understand the zipper insertion process.  I hope.









This is the inside lining, with a properly made pocket that's even facing the right way!












So the bottom piece in the picture (the one with the zipper) is basically done.  The lining and pocket are attached to the other side.  I just need to sew the other 2 pieces together and attach the strap to the D rings.  The bag will be nice and sturdy, because there's fusible batting under the sewing machine fabric and fusible interfacing under the safety pin fabric.





Hope everyone's having a fun and productive weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely love that fabric. Can't wait to see the finished bag. :D

    ReplyDelete